• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big mistake, and how to undo what I signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ry_Blhacz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I hired a from avvo to handle my unpaid wage and overtime case. After a month, the pastor of my church contacted me about the pending case. My ex-boss, also a member of the church, told the pastor about the case. The pastor urged me to come and meet with him and my ex-boss to discuss and clear the air. Little did I know they had another plan. The pastor produced a pre-written agreement for us to sign. Out of guilt, stupidity and foolishness I signed. The agreement, includes the lawyer fees. In all, after the 33% lawyer fee, I get about 25% of what I am actually owed before taxes. It is thousands of dollars less than what my lawyer initially told me what the case is worth. I mess up big time. A few days later my lawyer called me that he was aware of the agreement and said that it is airtight and nothing can be done. However he keeps calling me to agree to it. I know that my lawyer, my employer's lawyer are in constant communication. But if my signature on the agreement is final, why is my lawyer calling me to get me to agree. What else does my lawyer need from me?
Is this agreement valid, since it was signed without any lawyer present?
Can it be undone? I want to continue the case and go to court. Will a judge even listen to me?
It was a huge mistake, that I signed under pressure. I know now my former boss and pastor were in cahoots. The pastor keeps calling me now asking why I want out of the agreement. He is very agressive and reminding me that I signed in the house of God. Is this the right forum for my question?
Please help?

FlyingRon

Bring it to your attorney. What you signed is likely illegal. An employer can't have you agree to bypass the wage laws.

LdiJ

Bring it to your attorney. What you signed is likely illegal. An employer can't have you agree to bypass the wage laws.
And behind the attorney's back as well, since the OP is represented. I am still shaking my head about the pastor. How low is it to use your pastor to strong arm someone into a deal?, and how despicable that the pastor allowed himself to be used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">