• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boss taking my commissions....can i do anything ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IamSamIam

What is the name of your state? GA

I am new to this site so I thought I would check into this while on was on here for another issue. So thank you to anyone who responds in advance.

I am a mortgage processor and when i took this job my boss offered me salary plus $350 for each loan i processed and got closed. i have been here for about 9 mos and for the last 3 months he has been taking my commission. probably $3000 total. business is *slow* and he said that the commissions would stop until he picked up more loans. (the problem is, he doesnt return phone calls or come into work for more than an hour or two a day- leaving me to run the entire company on my own - there are only two of us in the company) and him not originating loans does not change the fact that i close the ones that DO come in and work my butt off.

so, everytime a loan closes -- i do everything from the min the agent calls or the customer calls. the ONLY thing he does is sign the docs.

Is there anything i can do to get my commissions from him? can he legally take them since they are marked in the final closing costs as "processing fees" and are supposed to go to me. by law he can only make so much on a loan and sometimes taking my commission takes him over that mark.

i am looking for another job since business is slow and he can barely keep us afloat -- so, im not worried about losing my job over this. but, i dont feel its fair for him to take the money that i worked for when he did nothing. some loans he has never even spoken to the client. i took a pretty substantial cut from my last position because i was going to be making the commissions and if business was good i would be making 3times my last salary.

seniorjudge

IamSamIam said:
What is the name of your state? GA

I am new to this site so I thought I would check into this while on was on here for another issue. So thank you to anyone who responds in advance.

I am a mortgage processor and when i took this job my boss offered me salary plus $350 for each loan i processed and got closed. i have been here for about 9 mos and for the last 3 months he has been taking my commission. probably $3000 total. business is *slow* and he said that the commissions would stop until he picked up more loans. (the problem is, he doesnt return phone calls or come into work for more than an hour or two a day- leaving me to run the entire company on my own - there are only two of us in the company) and him not originating loans does not change the fact that i close the ones that DO come in and work my butt off.

so, everytime a loan closes -- i do everything from the min the agent calls or the customer calls. the ONLY thing he does is sign the docs.

Is there anything i can do to get my commissions from him? can he legally take them since they are marked in the final closing costs as "processing fees" and are supposed to go to me. by law he can only make so much on a loan and sometimes taking my commission takes him over that mark.

i am looking for another job since business is slow and he can barely keep us afloat -- so, im not worried about losing my job over this. but, i dont feel its fair for him to take the money that i worked for when he did nothing. some loans he has never even spoken to the client. i took a pretty substantial cut from my last position because i was going to be making the commissions and if business was good i would be making 3times my last salary.

You can sue him in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">