• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bounced paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

azigo

What is the name of your state? ohio
I have recently incurred 192 dollars of bank charges because my 35 dollar check from my employer bounced. I am a college student and this is devasting to me. How should I deal with this? Should I go after my employer? If this is the case how do I go about it?

JETX

azigo said:
How should I deal with this? Should I go after my employer? If this is the case how do I go about it?
You can certainly request that your employer reimburse you for the expenses you incurred. However, since it is YOUR obligation to make sure that you have sufficient funds in your account BEFORE you spend them..... the employer has no legal obligation to help you in the expenses YOU incurred due to YOUR actions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can report the bounced paycheck to your state DOL. Whether or not you can claim the charges for insufficient funds depends on your state law, but I agree with Jetx that it's unlikely the employer is LEGALLY responsible.

JETX

cbg said:
You can report the bounced paycheck to your state DOL. Whether or not you can claim the charges for insufficient funds depends on your state law, but I agree with Jetx that it's unlikely the employer is LEGALLY responsible.
I assumed (rightly or wrongly?) that the bounced check was subsequently 'made good' and the only issue remaining was a claim of the NSF fees.
So, did the employer provide you with proper payment of the $35 wages??

A

azigo

No my employer has not made good on the original amount of the check.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then contact your state department of labor. They will also be able to tell you if your employer is legally responsible for the bank charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">