• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California cap Pto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robv71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Our HR has just informed us about our PTO hours in regards to the new Update policy. that we will not be able to carry over all of my hours due to the new policy which we can only carry over 1.5 of our annual PTO days. example : I had 95 days at the end of the year but I only carried over 60 days in which I lost 35 days. the news came to just yesterday,1/15/15. we were told that the balance is lost. I'm wondering is this legal? Isn't the pto part of our wages? should have they informed us 3 months before the year was over? I would like for some one to clear things up not only for me but the rest of my co-workers.

Thanks,

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In many states that would be entirely legal but CA and a few other states have restrictions on how, or even whether, vacation or PTO can be lost. Unless there's something you're not telling us, my guess is that this would violate CA law. A CAP, meaning that once you have x days you don't earn any more until you use some, is legal in all states including CA, but loss of time already earned is not legal in CA. Check with the state DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">