• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer change your time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My question is simple....Can an employer change your time on your time card? For example....If someone clocks in at 10pm and clocks out at 6:15am (scheduled til 6am)....can the employer change the time that you got off and make it 6am because "they are over budget on payroll" even though you worked until 6:15?

It may seem like peanuts only 15 minutes but this is a constant problem and all the minutes add up quickly...

Thanks

swalsh411

I'm assuming you are hourly.

They must pay you for all time worked even if past your scheduled time. However they can discipline you or even fire you for working unauthorized hours.

Some States allow for rounding up/down to the nearest 15 minute increment. I do not know if AZ is one of them.

You can file a complaint with the AZ Industrial Commission.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My question is simple....Can an employer change your time on your time card? For example....If someone clocks in at 10pm and clocks out at 6:15am (scheduled til 6am)....can the employer change the time that you got off and make it 6am because "they are over budget on payroll" even though you worked until 6:15?

It may seem like peanuts only 15 minutes but this is a constant problem and all the minutes add up quickly...

Thanks
No they cannot change your time on your timecard. You can get disciplined for working over your time though. They can even let you go over it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Slight correction, Tigi.

It is not inherently illegal for an employer to change the time on the employee's card. There are situations and circumstances where that is permitted. What is illegal is if the employee does not get paid for all the time they work.

Slight correction, swalsh

Federal law permits the practice of rounding to the nearest quarter hour, as long as it is done without regard for who it benefits. If there is any state which has disallowed the practice, I have not heard of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">