• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer limit unpaid hours if they have no work for me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allora123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hi, I work at a medical transcription company as an employee, telecommuting from home,and although I am paid by the lines I type, I have a set schedule of 32 hours approved by my supervisor that I need to work each week. There are certain times of the year when work is slow, and I'll run out of work. They don't want to pay me to wait for work to come in, so my company gives me the choice of flex my hours to a different time the same day, flex my hours to a different day in the same work week, use vacation time, or used excused unpaid time. They also have a policy where they want me to shut down during storms so that I don't get zapped while working, and they same rules apply. If I choose to make up the time, I have to log onto scheduling software that will tell me what times are available to work (mostly 2nd and 3rd shift hours). I can't just make the hours up whenever I please.

It never really was a problem until the company came up with an unpaid time policy, where they gave me a bank of unpaid,excused hours of 32 hours a year to use for the times when I am unable to make up my hours. If I don't use any of this time for the whole year, then they will award me 1 extra vacation day the next year.

Can a company really do this--limit the amount of unpaid time I can have, especially when they have no work during my scheduled hours that they have approved me to work? Can they MAKE me use my vacation hours for the missing hours?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">