• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employers garnish wages without a court order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goingbroke

What is the name of your state? SD

I am terminating my employment prior to the contractual 1 year period. There were training costs associated with my employment and early termination as per the decision of the employee is grounds for collecting the entire amount. This is in the contract. What is not in the contract is my permission to have my wages garnished due to this infraction. Can they garnish my wages without my permission or a court order?

Please respond ASAP...this is occurring as I speak....

seniorjudge

goingbroke said:
What is the name of your state? SD

I am terminating my employment prior to the contractual 1 year period. There were training costs associated with my employment and early termination as per the decision of the employee is grounds for collecting the entire amount. This is in the contract. What is not in the contract is my permission to have my wages garnished due to this infraction. Can they garnish my wages without my permission or a court order?

Please respond ASAP...this is occurring as I speak....
Tell us what your definition of "garnish" is.

goingbroke

Garnish

They are talking about taking out the full amount of the contract from my last two paychecks which would equal at least half of my gross each pay period...

seniorjudge

goingbroke said:
They are talking about taking out the full amount of the contract from my last two paychecks which would equal at least half of my gross each pay period...
That is not a garnishment; that is a repayment for something (I am guessing) that you didn't do and it was in your contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">