• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer give my W2 to someone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Formeremploye12

I was told by a former employee of mine (I was a manager) that my former employer opened my W2 then placed it in a new envelope and had her write my address on it and told her to mail it to me without my permission for her to have it. She also told me that the employer mailed everyone else's themselves except mine which they gave her to mail. Because of this strange behavior she is afraid to mail it so has agreed to bring it to me. Is there anything illegal about them giving it to someone else without my permission and what can I do about it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law has not changed since your first post in this forum ten minutes ago. Yes, it is legal. No, there is nothing for you to do about it.

FlyingRon

My question has changed.
You should have followed up in your original thread. Nobody wants to see the details scattered all over the place. The answer is still that there is nothing that prohibits an employer from having one employee send out a W-2 to another employee. Get over it, nothing illegal or improper here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The employee is a representative of your employer. The answer remains the same.

Your salary information is not protected or private.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">