• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer open my W2?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Formeremploye12

I was told by a former employee of mine (I was a manager) that my former employer opened my W2 then placed it in a new envelope and had her write my address on it and told her to mail it to me without my permission for her to have it. She also told me that the employer mailed everyone else's themselves except mine which they gave her to mail. Because of this strange behavior she is afraid to mail it so has agreed to bring it to me. Is there anything illegal about them opening it and what can I do about it?

justalayman

Your employer is responsible for creating your W2. What makes you believe they are prohibited from seeing your W2 at some other time?

And by chance is your current address different than the address on your w2?

eerelations

I don't understand this either - what makes you think employers are not allowed to look at the W2s they create? And why would it be illegal for employers to give the responsibility of mailing out W2s to more than one employee? Finally, how do you know that all of the other W2s were mailed out by one person?

Frankly, the person I think doing wrong here is the employee who is being insubordinate by calling you and telling you all this nonsense and then insisting you make yourself available for personal delivery of your W2 rather than mailing it to you as she was instructed.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there anything illegal about them opening it No

and what can I do about it?
There's nothing to do anything about

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">