• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer require me to work for no pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suebeeque

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. I was employed as a waitress up until 3 days ago when I was fired. I have worked for this restaurant for a little over a year. During this period we were required to attend monthly training meetings, approx 2 hours on a Saturday morning when the restaurant was closed, without pay. It had always bothered me that I had to give up my time for these meetings with no compensation. But the final straw came this past Saturday when, after a brief lecture, we were instructed to start cleaning the restaurant. I was ordered to do windows while others were given various tasks. I was visibly annoyed by this unfair treatment and was confronted by the owner on why I wasn't happy. I explained that I would gladly perform whatever job he had for me that day or any day, as long as I would be paid for the work. He said we wouldn't be there doing this if we did our jobs correctly during our shift. I said, again, that I would do the work if I was getting paid. He said "If
you don't like it, there's the door". I asked if I was being fired and he said YES. I did NOT leave my job...I was fired. Can I be forced to work under these circumstances without pay? Is it legal to require monthly training meetings without pay. Do I have any legal recourse? BTW, I live in New Jersey

commentator

Also, file for unemployment benefits since you were fired. And talk to the DOL. According to wage and hour laws, the employer is required to pay you for any time that you actually work, at least the applicable minimum wage. But that he fired you without a good work related misconduct reason (refusing to work for free is not misconduct!) you should be able to draw unemployment benefits while looking for another job if you have the monetary eligibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">