• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a prosepective employer ask for your pay check stub from your current employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jimwin

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?

Oregon

Also the new prospective employer is the new contract winner for services, the previous company would not provide them with employee wage information since they deemed this information confidential, the normal protocol and my past experience has been for a new employer to ask what my current salery is and ask what my desired salery is, then an offer is made and is either accepted, countered or denied.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of what your past experience has been or what you believe "normal protocal" to be, it is entirely legal, and not at all uncommon, for a prospective employer to ask for some form of verification of your current/past salary, such as a pay stub or a W-2.

J

jimwin

Re

If they choose not to hire you once they have seen your documentation (wage statements) that would make them subject to a lawsuit for soliciting or gathering information. Its highly unethical if its not illegal.

Beth3

If they choose not to hire you once they have seen your documentation (wage statements) that would make them subject to a lawsuit for soliciting or gathering information. Huh? No it wouldn't.

Its highly unethical if its not illegal. It's neither. What part of this aren't you getting? There is nothing illegal or unethical about a prospective employer requiring a candidate to provide a document from a third party verifying his/her wages. The reason for doing this is because candidates have been known to inflate their current wages in hopes of getting an even higher offer from a new employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is neither illegal nor unethical, and regardless of whether you do or don't get the job after providing the information, you have NO legal recourse and the employer is under NO threat of ANY kind of lawsuit.

Whoever is telling you otherwise knows nothing about the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">