• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashed my check at a check cashing place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helmetjm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I cashed my check at a check cashing place about a month ago. I no longer work for that employer that issued me that check as a matter of fact that was my last check from them.

Today I tried to cash my paycheck from my current employer at the same check cashing place and was told that the last check cashed had a stop payment on it and that I was responsible for that money. The check cashing also held the check I was trying to cash. I was told to talk to the manager in the morning to see if she will give me my check back.

Can the check cashing place hold me responsible and can they hold my paycheck.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I cashed my check at a check cashing place about a month ago. I no longer work for that employer that issued me that check as a matter of fact that was my last check from them.

Today I tried to cash my paycheck from my current employer at the same check cashing place and was told that the last check cashed had a stop payment on it and that I was responsible for that money. The check cashing also held the check I was trying to cash. I was told to talk to the manager in the morning to see if she will give me my check back.

Can the check cashing place hold me responsible and can they hold my paycheck.
They can hold you responsible for the stopped check, yes - your recourse is with your old employer.

pattytx

Of course, they can also sue the employer of the check that you DID cash that had a stop on it under the "holder in due course" laws. They would have to show that they did their "due diligence", such as personally knowing you and/or checking your IDs. OTOH, if you KNEW there was a stop payment on the check, you never should have presented it in the first place.

They have no right to keep the latest check; they didn't cash it. Period. If they won't give it back to you, I'd go immediately to the police and file a report of theft.

You can't get a checking or savings account and enroll in direct deposit? Cashing checks at those places is a rip-off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">