• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of time card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom4kids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Is it illegal for a HR manager to change the hours worked by an employee at the request of an employee?

My organization is on a no overtime status. Do to a power outage and misscommunication in the organization my hours for the week went over by 40 minutes. I told the HR manager to just take them off it was not a big deal to me. She informmed me that it was illegal and not to ask her to do that. What are my rights and how should this situation be handled in the future?

ecmst12

It is absolutely illegal for them to remove time from your time card that they know you worked, even if you ask them to. The company could get in big trouble for that.

In the future be careful not to work unapproved overtime.

swalsh411

The HR person was correct. You have a right and your employer has an obligation to pay for all time work authorized or not. If employees were allowed to voluntarily not get paid for time they worked it would much easier for a company to short their pay claiming they had permission to do so.

You can be fired for working unauthorized hours but you must be paid for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">