• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing/Adding time to time clock record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SAM147

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? NC

I am a supervisor at a very well known corporation. Recently, I have noticed that another Supervisor has been shaving time off from my time edits. The time clock is set up on 15 min incriments. My job requires me to stay over occasionally due to business demand, staffing issues, assistance to the next shift, etc. I work 4 10-hour shifts I have documents with this supervisors name on my time marked *CHANGED* and video of this taking place. The Supervisor editing my time is not on the property when I complete my shift, he is simply going by clock-in/clock-out time.

This same supervisor is also adding time to a different supervisor in our department to make sure that she gets her full 10 hours.

Is this legal?

Beth3

And when you showed the edited time documents to your manager, he said??? That clearly is your first step in resolving whatever is going on here.

Whether this is legal or not depends upon whether your position is exempt or non-exempt (hourly paid.) If the latter, then your employer is required to keep an accurate record of all time worked by non-exempt employees and pay overtime accordingly. If exempt, keeping track of time worked is entirely a matter of company policy.

Additionally, one employee changing another employee's time card is most likely expressly prohibited by company policy unless the employee is authorized to do so.

S

SAM147

I am not a salaried employee, however, with my time being changed to show exactly 10 hours, and only getting paid for those ten hours, leads me to believe that they will not pay overtime if that be the case.

The supervisor is allowed to approve time records and even change them under circumstances, such as to add time for unexpected meetings. I am also granted the same access to the time records, however, I do not edit coworkers time.

I intend on taking this higher within the company. In summary, it is illegal for a non-exempt employee's time to be edited. Is this correct?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not exactly. A non-exempt employee must be paid for all the hours that they actually work, and the time-keeping record (whatever it may be) must reflect those hours.

However, if you checked in at 7:45, and spent fifteen minutes hanging up your coat, getting coffee, using the restroom, checking your personal e-mail, etc., and only began working at 8:00, your employer would be justified (and it would be legal) for them to amend your time card to say 8:00.

So while I'm not saying that it was or was not legal in this particular instance, a statement that "it is illegal to change an employee's time card" is too broad to be accurate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">