• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charged a late fee that is more than my pay rate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauraeta

What is the name of your state? ohio

i am a dental hygienist. i make 250.00/day. i am usually booked for 8 hours with patients. i typically work longer than 8 hours (with no additional pay) because i may run late and or disinfection at the end of the day takes awhile. on 2 occasions i was 30 minutes late for work. the first time my patient rescheduled and the second time a dentist took the patient for me. i ended up being fee'd a 30.00 late fee for each day.

is this legal? it is not stated in any paperwork that i signed and it was never discussed as a possibility until i was handed my paycheck.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lauraeta said:
What is the name of your state? ohio

i am a dental hygienist. i make 250.00/day. i am usually booked for 8 hours with patients. i typically work longer than 8 hours (with no additional pay) because i may run late and or disinfection at the end of the day takes awhile. on 2 occasions i was 30 minutes late for work. the first time my patient rescheduled and the second time a dentist took the patient for me. i ended up being fee'd a 30.00 late fee for each day.

is this legal? it is not stated in any paperwork that i signed and it was never discussed as a possibility until i was handed my paycheck.

My response:

Quit. You don't really think you're going to be paid for something you didn't do. Who's going to pay the dentist that did your work? Who's going to pay the dentist for the lost opportunity when a patient walks out?

It's legal to dock your paycheck. I would also. Then, I'd fire you.

IAAL

pattytx

Unfortunately, Ohio law appears not to mandate your written authorization for deductions not required by law. IMHO, fining an employee for being late is a petty disciplinary action, but neither the fine nor the deduction of it appears to be illegal under Ohio law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">