• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10acious

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I was wondering if anyone knew of any labor laws that would prevent employers from forcing chariable donations out of it's employees. I do not mind giving to several Charitable Organizations, but I do mind when my employer is monitoring my charitable gifts, forcing me to give (strongly suggesting or commenting that they expect 100% participation), and/or influencing the dollar amount.

This method of asking for donations, definitely put a negative spin on doing something that is otherwise a positive action.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not aware of any law that prohibits an employer in Ohio (or any other state) from requiring their employees to make charitable donations. Patty?

pattytx

Me either. But it did get me to thinking. If the employee were fired because she refused to contribute, could that be a wrongful termination case, i.e. a violation of public policy? Just thinkin'

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't think so. The hypothetical employee would not have been fired for exercising a right or benefit protected under the law. But if so, it would be extremely state specific, and Ohio's wage and hour laws are as weak as Florida's so it wouldn't be likely to help this poster any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">