• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Osperus

I currently reside in Texas.
After being employed for almost 3 years at my ex employer, child support has been deducted from my check via court order. That is not the problem. The problem lies in this, after quitting my job I finally had a chance to go to OAG (office of attorney general) and get my payment history for child support. After reviewing the document I notice that my overall balance had not dwindled but I actually owed more than when I started. Puzzled by this I started to look at the payments that had been made to OAG. Right off i saw the problem, and it was a big one.
I compared my deductions from my paycheck stubs ( I always keep all of them) to the amounts paid into OAG and not all of my payments where made. There where over 30 different instances that the amount deducted from my check was either not paid at all or only a partial payment made. After some calculating based on my paycheck stubs there is over $6000 that had not been paid to OAG that was taken from my paycheck for that specific reason.
I looked at the Texas Family Code CHAPTER 158. WITHHOLDING FROM EARNINGS FOR CHILD SUPPORT and found a few things that is mandated by the State to the employer. I confronted my ex employer about the discrepancy and I was told that I was not going to see that money and I'm lucky that they paid any of it. I was shocked least to say. So basically they stole $6000 of income from me.

Here is where my questions come in:

I know that the OAG will get their money from the ex employer which I have no issues with, but what about the interest that has occurred due to my " being late and behind" on payments?
Do I have any legal right to sue for that amount?
Can I get the ex employers payroll history and have an audit preformed so that not only my situation be further examined but for the rest of the employees to see if the is further discrepancies not only for child support, but taxes and social security payments as well?
And how much is this going to cost me?

I did some research and really all i can find is very limited information on what can be done. Most articles and advise is for the recipient of the child support suing dead beat dads, not an actual person doing the right thing and having their employer be the cause of delinquent payments.

Any advice or articles that anyone knows about would be greatly helpful in getting my ex employer to pay not only my issues but the possibility of others that are employed by them.

Thanks a bunch!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I currently reside in Texas.
After being employed for almost 3 years at my ex employer, child support has been deducted from my check via court order. That is not the problem. The problem lies in this, after quitting my job I finally had a chance to go to OAG (office of attorney general) and get my payment history for child support. After reviewing the document I notice that my overall balance had not dwindled but I actually owed more than when I started. Puzzled by this I started to look at the payments that had been made to OAG. Right off i saw the problem, and it was a big one.
I compared my deductions from my paycheck stubs ( I always keep all of them) to the amounts paid into OAG and not all of my payments where made. There where over 30 different instances that the amount deducted from my check was either not paid at all or only a partial payment made. After some calculating based on my paycheck stubs there is over $6000 that had not been paid to OAG that was taken from my paycheck for that specific reason.
I looked at the Texas Family Code CHAPTER 158. WITHHOLDING FROM EARNINGS FOR CHILD SUPPORT and found a few things that is mandated by the State to the employer. I confronted my ex employer about the discrepancy and I was told that I was not going to see that money and I'm lucky that they paid any of it. I was shocked least to say. So basically they stole $6000 of income from me.

Here is where my questions come in:

I know that the OAG will get their money from the ex employer which I have no issues with, but what about the interest that has occurred due to my " being late and behind" on payments?
Do I have any legal right to sue for that amount?
Can I get the ex employers payroll history and have an audit preformed so that not only my situation be further examined but for the rest of the employees to see if the is further discrepancies not only for child support, but taxes and social security payments as well?
And how much is this going to cost me?

I did some research and really all i can find is very limited information on what can be done. Most articles and advise is for the recipient of the child support suing dead beat dads, not an actual person doing the right thing and having their employer be the cause of delinquent payments.

Any advice or articles that anyone knows about would be greatly helpful in getting my ex employer to pay not only my issues but the possibility of others that are employed by them.

Thanks a bunch!
What did the OAG's office say when you asked them your questions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">