• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city salary resolution interpretation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeff10101

The city I work for just passed a resolution to change the “Classification and Compensation Plan” and how to implementation the plan. The resolution contains a statement I would like a legal interpretation for.

The statement as passed by the city council
“All employees will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan and adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

Do all employees get the 2% or just those brought to their minimum?

The HR department’s intent was
“Only employees currently below the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan and then adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

But I read it as
“Any employee currently below the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan. All employees will be adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

These are very different interpretations, how do you see it?

quincy

The city I work for just passed a resolution to change the “Classification and Compensation Plan” and how to implementation the plan. The resolution contains a statement I would like a legal interpretation for.

The statement as passed by the city council
“All employees will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan and adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

Do all employees get the 2% or just those brought to their minimum?

The HR department’s intent was
“Only employees currently below the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan and then adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

But I read it as
“Any employee currently below the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan will be brought to the minimum of their new pay grade or step plan. All employees will be adjusted 2% for each year of service in their current position.”

These are very different interpretations, how do you see it?
First, you did not include your state name, which is information requested of all posters to this site - not that this matters much due to what I am going to tell you. :)

The legal interpretation of contracts goes beyond the scope of this forum. For those on this site who are not attorneys (the majority of members), it would fall under the unauthorized practice of law. For those on this site who are attorneys, it would be a violation of their professional code.

You will need to seek out the help of an attorney in your area, who can not only review the statement that concerns you but also review the resolution in its entirety to see how the statement relates to what comes before it and what comes after.

Good luck.

eerelations

I've designed and implemented a number of pay plans for different organizations and I must say that HR's interpretation is the one that makes sense to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">