• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commission work compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rexvp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. I have been a hairstylist for 16 years at the same salon. I am 100% commission paid at the rate of 45% of my service dollars go to me the rest to my employer. I recently discovered while chatting with a coworker that when we had a salon wide increase in prices one of my services was never changed to the higher price. It was a computer error I'm sure but one that i never would have realized because I didn't know how much each service went up and have never compared my prices to anyone else. So I should have been making this money, everyone else was I feel I am due this, they take 55% of my money so these oversights don't happen. If I could control the computer this wouldn't have happened but that's not part of my job, I don't set my prices they do so I rely on them that they are doing their job. Do I have any legal recourse to go after them for back wages lost?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. I have been a hairstylist for 16 years at the same salon. I am 100% commission paid at the rate of 45% of my service dollars go to me the rest to my employer. I recently discovered while chatting with a coworker that when we had a salon wide increase in prices one of my services was never changed to the higher price. It was a computer error I'm sure but one that i never would have realized because I didn't know how much each service went up and have never compared my prices to anyone else. So I should have been making this money, everyone else was I feel I am due this, they take 55% of my money so these oversights don't happen. If I could control the computer this wouldn't have happened but that's not part of my job, I don't set my prices they do so I rely on them that they are doing their job. Do I have any legal recourse to go after them for back wages lost?
So, when somebody had a service done by you, they paid less?

Rexvp

So, when somebody had a service done by you, they paid less?
They paid less than they should have for this one service. All the stylist at my level charge a certain price, my price was not adjusted to the same price as the other stylists

Zigner

They paid less than they should have for this one service. All the stylist at my level charge a certain price, my price was not adjusted to the same price as the other stylists
Then I don't see the problem. You are paid a percentage of the amount they charged for the service. If they charge less, then you are paid less.

Rexvp

Then I don't see the problem. You are paid a percentage of the amount they charged for the service. If they charge less, then you are paid less.
Yes but what I'm saying is that's they should have been paying more for the services. I was told all my prices went up, and they never raised this price. This is the only way I get a raise, to make my prices higher

Zigner

Yes but what I'm saying is that's they should have been paying more for the services. I was told all my prices went up, and they never raised this price. This is the only way I get a raise, to make my prices higher
But your price WASN'T higher.

It would be different if they had raised the price to the customers but not adjusted the amount amount you receive, but that's not what happened here. You were paid the proper percentage of the amount that the customer paid.

Rexvp

But your price WASN'T higher.

It would be different if they had raised the price to the customers but not adjusted the amount amount you receive, but that's not what happened here. You were paid the proper percentage of the amount that the customer paid.
I understand that but I feel like I was lied to. If my price was supposed to go up I'm trusting that they did their job, I can't control the computer, how am I supposed to know?

Zigner

I understand that but I feel like I was lied to. If my price was supposed to go up I'm trusting that they did their job, I can't control the computer, how am I supposed to know?
Yours really is not a legal question.

Esto Perpetua

Why didn't you check your split to make sure you were receiving 45% of the new, higher price, not the old price?

Seems like you didn't do your due diligence for a long time.

Rexvp

I'm getting my same % just that on this one particular service the price was never raised ie no red flags it wasn't until another service provider told me what her price was for this one particular service that I realized that my price was wrong. At any rate it is not my job to set my prices or to have to constantly watch my back that my guests are paying the right price when that's what I give 55% away for but no worries I already contacted a long time client for advice thank you

Zigner

I'm getting my same % just that on this one particular service the price was never raised ie no red flags it wasn't until another service provider told me what her price was for this one particular service that I realized that my price was wrong. At any rate it is not my job to set my prices or to have to constantly watch my back that my guests are paying the right price when that's what I give 55% away for but no worries I already contacted a long time client for advice thank you
Do you leave other important parts of your life in the hands of others, assuming they won't ever make a mistake?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">