• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Comp plan changed without my approval day 3 of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worstINCever

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Hello,
I have a situation on my hands. I was hired by a company to open a new division within this company. Shortly after starting (less than 1 day) it was apparent that the health of the company financially, was very bad. The 4th day of my employment, I was sat down and told my comp plan was being changed. There is much more to the story however it was not because of any wrong doing on my part. Clearly this company is in bad shape. Long story short, I was NEVER presented a new offer letter or shown anything on paper for what this new "comp plan" is. Do I have legal recourse? The first payday is coming up in 2 days and I was just told today that the check will be for my "new plan" which I still have not seen on paper and certainly not agreed to. The only offer letter I have is signed by the CEO stating what my original offer that I came on board was for. Please let me know. This company is a soap opera and I feel like ownership made me an offer, then lost a large amount of revenue, and is now trying to change my comp. Like I said....much MUCH more to the story.

OHRoadwarrior

Unless you have a signed contract, you can expect to receive the compensation promised in the letter until notified otherwise. That appears to have happened, however you can make the argument they owe you the letter rate until the date of notification.

worstINCever

Unless you have a signed contract, you can expect to receive the compensation promised in the letter until notified otherwise. That appears to have happened, however you can make the argument they owe you the letter rate until the date of notification.
But I have yet to be given a new comp letter or offer other than the one I originally agreed to before joining the company.

ecmst12

Did they verbally tell you what they are going to be paying you? If so, that's what you can expect to be in your paycheck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are only a very few states where the law requires that you received written notice of a change of compensation. Illinois is not one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">