• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer in exchange for wages, acceptable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graphicdesigner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana, but company is in Illinois.

A previous employer furnished me with a computer for some design work I was doing as a part-time job. I worked out of my home. After paying me only half of the wages owed, he severed contact with me. I have tried for the past nine months to get a response out of him. I do have proof of the numerous times I attempted contact via e-mail and text (I wanted a paper trail). I attempted to return the computer several times as well, with no response. My question is, after months of no contact or compensation, am I justified in keeping the computer at this point? I am a rule follower to a T, so this has been on my mind constantly.

Thank you for your advise!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana, but company is in Illinois.

A previous employer furnished me with a computer for some design work I was doing as a part-time job. I worked out of my home. After paying me only half of the wages owed, he severed contact with me. I have tried for the past nine months to get a response out of him. I do have proof of the numerous times I attempted contact via e-mail and text (I wanted a paper trail). I attempted to return the computer several times as well, with no response. My question is, after months of no contact or compensation, am I justified in keeping the computer at this point? I am a rule follower to a T, so this has been on my mind constantly.

You are not justified in keeping the computer.

tranquility

You're never really "justified" to keep the computer unless that it the intent of the owner. Odds are, at this time, he won't ask for it back and would hope you forget about things. If you want to follow up with your wages, keeping the computer could be a bit of a problem. If he ever asks for it back, you must give it back.

LdiJ

You can certainly keep and use the computer until he asks for it back. You can certainly bring up the fact that he owes you wages if he ever asks for the computer back. I suspect that you will never hear from him again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">