• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract Work I Haven't Been Paid For

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Micohenca

I am in California. I worked a marketing event for a company that is based in Chicago, IL. This company hires Brand Ambassadors to market and promote a specific company/brand at large events. The company whom I did work for had me promoting The Home Depot at a large Hispanic event in San Diego, CA. I worked on September 14, 2008. As 10/20/2008, the company has not paid me. I have specific emails detailing the pay rate, the hours, and contact names. All employment information was filled out online. The Home Depot representatives (direct employees) were there also. The company I worked for said that as soon as they are paid by The Home Depot, they would pay me. Do I have any recourse? I think 5 weeks (and counting) is sufficient time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Are you expecting to be paid as an employee (i.e., via a payroll system with statutory deductions etc.) or as an independent contractor? Your answer is important as our response will differ depending on which dategory you fall into.

Micohenca

I don't remember filling out exemptions (IRS) info, so that would make me think I am an Independent Contractor. I just got off the phone with the company and they confirmed that I would be paid as an Independent Contractor (if I'm ever paid).

Micohenca

If I go to small claims, would I file in my home state (CA)? Where the work was done (CA)? Or does it need to be where they are located (IL)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">