• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justlistening

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

My wife was employed as a Nurse Practitioner and recently quit after disagreement with the owner of the clinic. In the past, the clinic has waived the copay of myself and kids as a professional courtesy to my wife. Now, since she has quit, the owner has billed her for past copays. She also took out some of the money for the copays from my wife's last check.

Can she bill for copays given as professional courtesy? Can she take from my wife's check without court permission?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course she can bill for the copays. She had no legal obligation to waive them.

As for the other question, I'll leave that to Patty. A COURT'S permission is not required. I don't know off hand if your state requires that the employer have your wife's permission (though from what I know of MS law, I doubt it).

Betty

Per my reference, Ms. has no law that restricts employers from making paycheck deductions. (no paycheck
deduction rules/laws)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">