• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counteroffer accepted, but employer broke agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

an0n

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello all, I'd appreciate your help. I recently received a great job offer that I informed my current employer about as I was planning to resign. To keep me, my current employer counter offered with a matching salary increase to take effect that day. In addition to the salary increase, the counter offer included a new title and job description with additional responsibility to be outlined and effective by a deadline that has since come and gone (to give us time to draft the new title and description). We agreed that the title and the description had to be of senior level, include all of the responsibilities that we outlined in that meeting, and that both would have to be mutually agreed upon. I chose to accept the counter offer and stay at my current position, and turn down the other offer.

I still have not received the pay raise I was due on a date come and gone; payroll has been processed at my old rate for days that fell after the agreed upon new-rate effective date. Furthermore, there has been no mention of the new title or job description, so that agreed upon condition and deadline has been broken as well. Unfortunately I did not get this agreement in writing, as I foolishly trusted the senior leaders I verbally agreed to this with. At minimum the play increase was definitely shared with two other senior leaders as well, though.

I feel as though I was lied to and tricked out of accepting a great job offer; in fact, without this counter offer I never would have stayed. I am very disappointed. What can I legally do to remedy this situation?

Thank you!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you have anything in writing?

How long ago was the pay raise to go into effect?

an0n

Did you have anything in writing?

How long ago was the pay raise to go into effect?
Unfortunately no, nothing in writing as I had regrettably trusted them. All I have is the fact that it wasn't just the two of us in the room. Another senior leader was in the room, I know that at least the pay raise had to be approved in advance by this person's boss, and this person admitted the amount of the pay raise to a fellow coworker. But the deadline of the effective pay increase, set for 12 days ago, was only heard by the three of us in the room. The only thing I have in writing is my acceptance of the offer, but it does not outline the stipulations.

Thank you for your time!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think it is too early to assume they do not plan to honor the agreement. It's not unusual for it to take weeks to get all the signatures on something like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">