• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cruise Ship Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brvids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida - My girlfriend is on a visa to work for a large cruise ship company. Not sure if us law applies. Anyway she signed a contract to go back again after the current one is up. They are making her pay for a plane ticket to return to the ship again in June. She's told them she doesn't want to and will buy it herself later but they are basically telling her she doesn't have a choice and will automatically deduct it from her check. Can they really do that? Seems ridiculous to me. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida - My girlfriend is on a visa to work for a large cruise ship company. Not sure if us law applies. Anyway she signed a contract to go back again after the current one is up. They are making her pay for a plane ticket to return to the ship again in June. She's told them she doesn't want to and will buy it herself later but they are basically telling her she doesn't have a choice and will automatically deduct it from her check. Can they really do that? Seems ridiculous to me. Thanks!
I suppose she could quit.

brvids

She doesn't necessarily want to quit otherwise I wouldn't even be asking. She just doesn't want to have to pay up front. Can they make her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">