• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denial of unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracieteaches

South Carolina
I was denied unemployment benefits due to a "voluntary quit". I moved to New York to follow my spouse for his new job since he had no luck in finding one in South Carolina. Is this grounds for an appeal? We also had just lost his car due to his being out of work. We couldn't keep up with the payments of two cars on a SC teacher's salary. Others, general folk without knowledge of the law, my mother actually, told me that I couldn't get unemployment benefits because my occupation is teaching, but I have tried, to no avail, to seek employment as a teacher in New York. What do you think of my chances to win my upcoming appeal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"What do you think of my chances to win my upcoming appeal?"

Slim to none.

While there is a small handful of states that accept following a spouse beyond commuting distance as a reason for quitting that still qualifies you for benefits, SC is not one of them. (For that matter, neither is NY.)

In the large majority of cases, if you quit, you don't get benefits.

T

tracieteaches

Actually, I just read an article that says it is "good cause" for NY UI benefits if you quit to follow spouse out of state.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, my source is a couple years old. There've been a couple of changes to NY law since it was published.

That's the exception rather than the rule, though. In your case, it's SC law that applies anyway. And they've already denied the claim.

I'm not saying it's reasonable. But all I can do is tell you what the law says.

T

tracieteaches

Is this a medical issue that could win my UI benefits appeal?

More info...I was teaching at an Alternative School in SC, and in fact, jumped at the chance to leave my employment there when the opportunity to move out of state with my husband presented itself. I was taking a generic form of Prozac prescribed by my doctor that left me awake at night, and had a horrible time of carrying out my duties as an alternative school teacher on very little sleep. Now that I am not working, I do not require medication for depression/stress/PMS.

Last edited:
I'd glad you are feeling better now, but I don't think your medical situation has any relations to unemployment benefits. If you wanted to make a claim that your old job caused you depression and required you to take medication, then that would have been a Workers Comp issue. Too late for that now.

I hope you are able to find a new job soon enough and start a new life in New York.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, your medical issue would not help you win your unemployment appeal. If anything, it might hurt your claim.

In most if not all states, you must be able to work, available for work, and actively looking for work in order to collect. Someone who quits their job because they are unable to work due to medical issues, is not going to meet those criteria.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">