• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have to pay me for 2 weeks if they ask me to leave after I put in notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pattersonalice5

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My employer has been known to ask an employer to leave the premises immediatley following someone putting in a 2 week notice. If I put one in and they ask me to leave, do they have to pay me for those to weeks? I need the money so I need to get paid? But I want to be in good standing and put in a two week notice and not leave right before I start my new job.

Please help

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, they don't. Nothing in Federal law or the law of any state requires an employer to pay an employee for notice time if it is not worked, even if it is not worked at the behest of the employer.

That being said, every company I have ever worked for would voluntarily pay for notice if they asked an employee to leave immediately. They are not under any legal obligation to so so, but many companies do so anyway.

Beth3

Of course it depends. We just "accepted a resignation immediately" from an employee who's been making one quality problem after another - and consequently didn't feel at all compelled to pay him for those two weeks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">