• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a Digital Time Clock system legally have to archive clock in/out times?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathanarnold

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I own a business in Florida and currently have my employees use paper time sheets. I would like to switch to an online time clock system for convenience, and I want to be sure the system I choose is compliant with the FLSA. They state that all time records must be kept for 3 years, but the systems I’m considering do not archive their time records after an employee has been terminated or has quit. I use a separate spread sheet to list and add up all my employees’ hours, showing daily and weekly totals, and I do keep those records. My question is: if I am already keeping records of the total daily and weekly hours worked for each employee, do I still need the online time clock company to keep archives of the exact clock in/out times (including punch in/out times for lunch breaks), or are the totals considered enough to satisfy the FLSA?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I own a business in Florida and currently have my employees use paper time sheets. I would like to switch to an online time clock system for convenience, and I want to be sure the system I choose is compliant with the FLSA. They state that all time records must be kept for 3 years, but the systems I’m considering do not archive their time records after an employee has been terminated or has quit. I use a separate spread sheet to list and add up all my employees’ hours, showing daily and weekly totals, and I do keep those records. My question is: if I am already keeping records of the total daily and weekly hours worked for each employee, do I still need the online time clock company to keep archives of the exact clock in/out times (including punch in/out times for lunch breaks), or are the totals considered enough to satisfy the FLSA?
How do expect us to know what records these (anonymous) companies keep? Did you ask any of the vendors if reports could be downloaded at some set period of time (weekly, monthly, quarterly)? Did you ask the vendors if they were compliant with the FLSA? :cool:

nathanarnold

How do expect us to know what records these (anonymous) companies keep? Did you ask any of the vendors if reports could be downloaded at some set period of time (weekly, monthly, quarterly)? Did you ask the vendors if they were compliant with the FLSA? :cool:
Thank you for your reply. I know already that the vendors do not keep the log in or out times after an employee has been discharged, and when I asked if that was compliant with the FLSA, they simply said "we assume so" which does not inspire confidence. My question was just this: does the FLSA require me to keep a record of the specific times my employees clock in/out, or can I just keep a record of the total hours they work? The FLSA site says the records need only be "accurate" but they don't define what "accurate" entails. Any further assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Silverplum

Thank you for your reply. I know already that the vendors do not keep the log in or out times after an employee has been discharged, and when I asked if that was compliant with the FLSA, they simply said "we assume so" which does not inspire confidence. My question was just this: does the FLSA require me to keep a record of the specific times my employees clock in/out, or can I just keep a record of the total hours they work? The FLSA site says the records need only be "accurate" but they don't define what "accurate" entails. Any further assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Here's what the FLSA requires: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs21.htm

As far as the bolded regarding what "accurate" entails: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/accurate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">