• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Double Tipping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CurttheRed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I wait tables at a restaurant and I waited on a party of six. Gratuity was automatically added and the customer put an additional tip on the check. Now I am on suspension because the restaurant is investigating me for double tipping. Do I need to worry?

ecmst12

There is no way for anyone here to know that. It would not be illegal for you to be fired over this.

Alex23

I used to work at a restaurant and I have received double tips in that way. Restaurant menus mostly state the 6 or more clause at the bottom of the menu to protect the restaurant (whether that does or not is another matter). We never went out of our way to inform our customers of the clause or the automatic gratuity that was added. Getting another 30 bucks was hardly worth the extra effort involved, since you usually lose another seating due to the party.

Still, it's a courtesy to inform the guests. Does your company require that you go out of your way to indicate the 6 or more policy?

pattytx

Any additional tip the customers voluntarily leave belongs to the server. Under the law, the flat percentage 'gratuity" is not a "tip" so it does not need to be distributed to the servers, even though the employer may choose to do so.

What did they expect you to do? (I'm asking, this is not a sarcastic question.)

However, I do agree with ecmst12 that it would not be illegal for you to be fired for this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">