• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee doesn't get a paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

Right...but it does violate the minimum wage requirement. That refers to meals and lodging provided as a benefit of employment rather than in lieu of any wage.

Typical instances are farm workers, ranch hands, domestic employees etc.
Again, though, its not in lieu of a wage.
Well you're presupposing the monthly value of room and board in South Carolina is greater than 40 hours a week at minimum wage. I have no idea what the numbers are there beyond its minimum wage of $7.25, but I can tell you that in Southern California the monthly value of say a studio apartment, utilities, and food is most definitely more than minimum wage, even the new city mandated wage at issue in San Diego of about $11/hour.

LdiJ

Well you're presupposing the monthly value of room and board in South Carolina is greater than 40 hours a week at minimum wage. I have no idea what the numbers are there beyond its minimum wage of $7.25, but I can tell you that in Southern California the monthly value of say a studio apartment, utilities, and food is most definitely more than minimum wage, even the new city mandated wage at issue in San Diego of about $11/hour.
I am talking about the "housing for the employer's convenience" issue...nor can one equate a room in an employers home, where you are an employee, with even a studio apartment.

davew128

I am talking about the "housing for the employer's convenience" issue...nor can one equate a room in an employers home, where you are an employee, with even a studio apartment.
How is it any different than a property manager for a hotel or apartment complex being given free room and board at the property they work at since they might be on call? Sorry, I think you're reaching here.

davew128

Here's an ongoing thread amongst tax professionals that spells out why the minimum wage shouldn't be an issue. Having a cash component would help, but isn't required.

https://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&item=5905390440131080196&type=member&gid=2325470&trk=eml-b2_anet_digest-hero-5-hero-disc-0&midToken=AQFIYIV6dR4AZw&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=0UxdJZnx0I7mo1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">