• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee-shortages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

managerez

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ky

I am the manager of a Convience store here in KY. When an employee has any type of shortage, can this be withheld from their paycheck?? What about doing background checks on new applicants before you hire them?? On shortages if an employee is notified and has signed and agreement that their shortages can be taken out of their checks, is this legal??

C

CheeseBlotto

managerez said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ky

When an employee has any type of shortage, can this be withheld from their paycheck?? What about doing background checks on new applicants before you hire them?? On shortages if an employee is notified and has signed and agreement that their shortages can be taken out of their checks, is this legal??
No, what about them, and no.

pattytx

Actually, Kentucky does allow the employer to deduct cash shortages from the employee's pay as long as the register or cash box is used by only one employee (you), the employee has authorized the deduction in writing, and the deduction does not result in the employee receiving less than minimum wage. See the following:
http://labor.ky.gov/esat/esfaqs.htm

Although the law does not specifically require it, I would get a written deduction authorization each time the deduction is to be made, with the specific amount. I would not recommend the employee sign a blanket authorization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">