• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employees Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notalotofinfo

Utah

Dont know where to start but here I go. Big changes in my workplace based on declining revenue. I have worked here 30 years. Lots of beneifits taken away more from long time employees, Wage cuts, yes higher percent for long time employees.
Also alot of family members employed. Is there a way to find out who got cut what and who got there wage cut and if so how much.

Then one other big thing. Do I have the right to ask for a written job description? Every thing is verbal and there is too much......I didnt say that or I dont remember.

Where do I go for help?

Antigone*

Utah

Dont know where to start but here I go. Big changes in my workplace based on declining revenue. I have worked here 30 years. Lots of beneifits taken away more from long time employees, Wage cuts, yes higher percent for long time employees.
Also alot of family members employed. Is there a way to find out who got cut what and who got there wage cut and if so how much.

Then one other big thing. Do I have the right to ask for a written job description? Every thing is verbal and there is too much......I didnt say that or I dont remember.

Where do I go for help?
You have no right to know where the cuts are being made.

You can ask for a written job description, but they don't have to comply. After 30 years if you don't know your job, there is a problem.

Employees have the right to get paid for their work.

notalotofinfo

You can ask for a written job description, but they don't have to comply. After 30 years if you don't know your job, there is a problem.

Employees have the right to get paid for their work

Thanks glad you noticed the problem!

By the way I do know my job and I am a great employee.

But i am a women 57 years. Who my boss is someone i have had work under me for years. He is telling managment that I dont help him. I have been told to tell him how to do his Job. I am not used to telling my boss what to do and being made a scape goat when things dont go well.

Anyway maybe some else will have some advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Employees have the right to get paid for their work

Thanks glad you noticed the problem!

By the way I do know my job and I am a great employee.

But i am a women 57 years. Who my boss is someone i have had work under me for years. He is telling managment that I dont help him. I have been told to tell him how to do his Job. I am not used to telling my boss what to do and being made a scape goat when things dont go well.

Anyway maybe some else will have some advice.
Ok, let's clear something up first:

Do you want accurate legal advice, as was given above?

Or, would you prefer that people tell you something different?

ecmst12

Your job description can also change at any time, even without getting anything in writing or any advance notice.

eerelations

OK, I'll try to make this as clear as possible. Here are your questions:
  1. Is there a way to find out who got cut what and who got there wage cut and if so how much.
  2. Do I have the right to ask for a written job description?
And here are your legally-accurate answers:

1. Employers cannot be legally bound to provide this information to people upon request. You may ask for the information, however, your employer would be within its legal rights to deny your request.
  2. You have the legal right to ask your employer for a job description. However, your employer is not legally obliged to provide you with one.
Hope this helps!

commentator

Which all ties in with my constant assertion that people in general are woefully uneducated about the rights they think they have in the workplace. Especially those who have worked in the same place for many years.

"They can't do this to me, can they?" and "Don't I have a right to....." are two pretty sad questions you hear a lot around here on the employment forums.
In the absence of a union (or some other kind of) contract to protect you, you have very few rights in the workplace. Two that you do not have are the right to know what others are making or what actions have been taken in regard to your co-workers, and the right to a specific job description and protection against being asked to do anything that is not in your job description.

If you feel that you are being discriminated against solely because you are an older woman, you can file a complaint with the EEOC. However, if the changes are across the board,as you yourself said, due to declining revenues, if they are cutting hours and salaries for everyone, not just you, and are treating you about the same as they treat others, even if it's poorly, then you will have a difficult time proving it was age or sex discrimination that caused their actions.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">