• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer changed payroll from weekly to bi-weekly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechSpec

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

My wife was notified about 3-4 weeks prior by the main office of her employer that because of overlapping vacation times with payroll employees the company will provide paychecks bi-weekly instead of weekly. According to the employer's original statement this will end at the beginning of September and go back to weekly, although my wife recently heard that the company is going to continue with bi-weekly indefinitely. I think what the company may be doing is keeping the payroll funds in an interest bearing account for an extra week. I'm not certain on this but I think I heard something about a new employee tax for employers, this is what originally prompted me to think that they were trying to offset a tax hike. This would just be one of numerous, numerous sleazy moves towards their employees. Perhaps I should start listing everything else on here too.
Is what the company doing legal? Should I notify the Dept. of Labor?

Antigone*

What makes you think keeping "payroll" funds in an interest-bearing account is illegal? And have you seen what banks are paying these days???:eek:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
And it's perfectly legal for a company to change paydays. Makes it easier on the bookkeepers/accountants/payroll clerks to take care of it every two weeks rather than once a week. :cool:

cyjeff

In fact, almost no one pays weekly anymore.

I agree with the above as well... you are angry because the company is making a little (a very little) extra money without it costing employees a dime?

Why is that bad?

Antigone*

In fact, almost no one pays weekly anymore.

I agree with the above as well... you are angry because the company is making a little (a very little) extra money without it costing employees a dime?

Why is that bad?
Actually, most companies keep their working capital in analyzed accounts that pay no interest but earns an allowance to help pay for bank services.

At the end of the day, it is not the OP's (or his wife's) business how the company uses their cash. All she need to worry about is getting paid on time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

My wife was notified about 3-4 weeks prior by the main office of her employer that because of overlapping vacation times with payroll employees the company will provide paychecks bi-weekly instead of weekly. According to the employer's original statement this will end at the beginning of September and go back to weekly, although my wife recently heard that the company is going to continue with bi-weekly indefinitely. I think what the company may be doing is keeping the payroll funds in an interest bearing account for an extra week. I'm not certain on this but I think I heard something about a new employee tax for employers, this is what originally prompted me to think that they were trying to offset a tax hike. This would just be one of numerous, numerous sleazy moves towards their employees. Perhaps I should start listing everything else on here too.
Is what the company doing legal? Should I notify the Dept. of Labor?
Like everyone else said, an employer has the right to change to biweekly pay periods. Unless you are talking about some kind of new state payroll tax, there are no new payroll/employee taxes for employers, at this time.

swalsh411

I wonder if the OP has a clue of the administrative cost of weekly payroll. Weekly payroll is wasteful by any reasonable standard.

TechSpec

Thanks for all the input, it's very much appreciated. I'll make it a point to spread the word on this helpful forum.

TechSpec

I'm a builder, I have many employees of my own and I can tell you that I would never change payroll like that at the last minute just before summer vacations start. Some people live week to week and rely on a check every Friday. This didn't affect me directly, but it still upset me when I heard that a single mother employed with my wife couldn't take her son to 6 Flags when they went camping because she wasn't going to get paid for another week. Although I don't expect any of the house lawyers on this board to care about someone like that and their problems. So don't sweat it. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

davew128

Don't mention it. Next time you ask a legal question and get a correct answer you don't like, zip it. Changing the facts (it went from 3-4 weeks notice to none) to garner sympathy makes you look like a donkey.

OHRoadwarrior

If the mom is living that close to broke, she can't afford six flags anyway. I make a nice living and cringe at the cost of six flags.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would venture to say that a very high percentage of employees nationwide get paid on a bi-weekly basis. I do, and have for most of my working life. There's nothing "sleazy" about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">