• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer filled out my W4 Without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjpmcs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

When I started this new job I was never asked to fill out tax forms. On my first paycheck taxes were taken out. When I asked the employer why I never had a chance to claim my withholding he just said I assumed that you claimed yourself and your daughter, so he filled it out for me?
That is crazy, how in the world does he know my situation. I have never heard of this. First of all I cannot claim my daughter because she does not live with me.

Can he legally do that? Needless to say there operation was a joke and I only received one more check after the first one before terminating my employment with them so there is not thousands of dollars involved.
Can the IRS do anything about me claiming someone that I cannot?

Please help

tranquility

Don't worry about it in the slightest. The only thing that will happen is you will have to come up with a bit more from your wallet (Or, get less of a refund.) when you file your return next year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">