• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer forcing employees to pay for backround checks and mandi tory CPR classes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dzieniushotmail

I currently work at a daycare center in Idaho. As a manditory condition for employment I had to undergo a criminal backround check/finger printing and a 3 hour CPR class. I was not paid for my time at the CPR class and on top of that I was deducted $65 from my pay check for the backround check and $50 for the CPR class. Can they legally force me to pay for these manditory job requirements?? I found this job on a Craigslist add. The posting says " This is a great job for mothers with young children. No need to pay a Daycare bill!!!" When I was hired I clarified with the director of the center that there will be NO daycare fees for my daughter to be at work with me. I have been employed there for now over 5 months. Recently the owner of the center told me that she will either deduct $50 from each pay check or I will have to work for free to pay for a $100 Co pay. I was hired on and excepted the job only on the fact I told there is No daycare expenses. Now I feel that I am being extorted out of money. On another note, recently there was a meeting between management and employees. I brought up issues that I see as a danger to the health and welfare of the children at the center. I also challenged them on trying to force me to now pay for daycare when that wasn't the agreement when I was hired. I am now being threatened that there going to cut my hours and I am not to come in to work until they call me. This all seems very unfair and highly illegal. Please give me your advice.
Thanks

ecmst12

They are free to change the agreement and require you to pay for your childcare. You are free to find somewhere else to work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I currently work at a daycare center in Idaho. As a manditory condition for employment I had to undergo a criminal backround check/finger printing and a 3 hour CPR class. I was not paid for my time at the CPR class and on top of that I was deducted $65 from my pay check for the backround check and $50 for the CPR class. Can they legally force me to pay for these manditory job requirements?? I found this job on a Craigslist add. The posting says " This is a great job for mothers with young children. No need to pay a Daycare bill!!!" When I was hired I clarified with the director of the center that there will be NO daycare fees for my daughter to be at work with me. I have been employed there for now over 5 months. Recently the owner of the center told me that she will either deduct $50 from each pay check or I will have to work for free to pay for a $100 Co pay. I was hired on and excepted the job only on the fact I told there is No daycare expenses. Now I feel that I am being extorted out of money. On another note, recently there was a meeting between management and employees. I brought up issues that I see as a danger to the health and welfare of the children at the center. I also challenged them on trying to force me to now pay for daycare when that wasn't the agreement when I was hired. I am now being threatened that there going to cut my hours and I am not to come in to work until they call me. This all seems very unfair and highly illegal. Please give me your advice.
Thanks
What is your goal? If they decide to charge for daycare, then they charge for daycare. You either pay it or you don't. If you don't pay it, then expect to be looking for another job.

dzieniushotmail

And by the way, $100/month is still 10% of what I pay for full time daycare.
I understand they can now charge for daycare from this point on. Do they have the ability to charge for daycare from the time I was hired till this point even though they said there is no daycare bill when I was hired?? Also can they force me to pay for my own backround check and CPR class? I never had to pay for these manditory job requirements with other jobs in which I was employed with.

dzieniushotmail

What is your goal? If they decide to charge for daycare, then they charge for daycare. You either pay it or you don't. If you don't pay it, then expect to be looking for another job.
I understand they can now charge for daycare from this point on. Do they have the ability to charge for daycare from the time I was hired till this point even though they said there is no daycare bill when I was hired?? Also can they force me to pay for my own backround check and CPR class? I never had to pay for these manditory job requirements with other jobs in which I was employed with.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Heck, I paid out of pocket for background check, First Aid and CPR for a *volunteer* position.

If the job is worth it enough, you'll do it... otherwise dust off your linkedin account.

Just Blue

Thanks
Frankly it seems ..odd... that you would place your child in a daycare just on the "freebee". Did you do a background check? :confused:

dzieniushotmail

Frankly it seems ..odd... that you would place your child in a daycare just on the "freebee". Did you do a background check? :confused:
Yes I did the background check and the expense was later deducted from my paycheck. When I replied to the job post the Daycare center was offering free childcare to there employees. To me this was an important benefit because if I were to pay for child care out of pocket and work at the center at $ 7.25 an hour I basically would be paying to be there. I took the job so I can earn a pay check and was told by the daycare center there no daycare bill. So the main reason again is to earn a paycheck not on a daycare freebee. On a side note my child was still under my care while I was working at the center.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">