• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer is holding my final paycheck.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slammathlet

What legal rights do I have to my final wages after I quit my job as an independent contractor filed W-2 taxes not a 1099 in the state of Michigan? My boss has dropped all communication with me and I have not received my final paycheck for days worked. I was paid bi-weekly and termimated my employment with them 8 days into 10 day work period. (No weekends) Getting paid by the day I should be expected to receive a check for the 7 days I worked.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What legal rights do I have to my final wages after I quit my job as an independent contractor filed W-2 taxes not a 1099 in the state of Michigan? My boss has dropped all communication with me and I have not received my final paycheck for days worked. I was paid bi-weekly and termimated my employment with them 8 days into 10 day work period. (No weekends) Getting paid by the day I should be expected to receive a check for the 7 days I worked.
I am confused. Were you treated as a w2 employee or a 1099 independent contractor?

eerelations

There's no such thing as a W-2 independent contractor. There is also no such thing as a 1099 employee. If you were given a W-2 then you were an employee. If you were given a 1099 then you were an independent contractor. Which one were you? If you want an accurate answer to your question you need to provide accurate information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">