• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer not providing pay stubs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisswentz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Back in February my husband became employed by a company, during the interview process everything seemed great.
Here's the issue we are having. My husband filled out a W2 form and there was no paperwork that was signed stating what his pay would actually be. First month of pay was not what was discussed during the interview, in fact was about 1/4 of the amount. My husband didn't think he could do anything said it was all word of mouth and nothing was signed. Turns out he was paid $10 an hour and on pay day it was all through a company check no break down of his hours or how his pay was worked out or any taxes that were withhold. Whenever pay day came around it was just handwritten checks being handed to him. When my husband inquired about his pay he was told he was being given training pay, during the interview this was also never discussed. We are frustrated because we used up all our savings to compensate for the lack of income. In our state is this allowed? It seems all too shady to me.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your husband should run, not walk, to the nearest telephone (during business hours, of course) and call the DLSE for advice.

commentator

No, if they offered him work, and he accepted it, and has worked for them for what they were paying him, nobody has to reimburse you guys because you aren't able to make it on this salary and he's had to use up all your savings. He should also run, not walk, toward finding another job with less skeevy ways of doing things. I am almost certain he's being paid off the books, from the sound of this, but he's the one who is continuing to work. Wage and hour, the DSLE will be able to determine if he has been paid legally for hours he's already worked, but why compound the problem by continuing to work like this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">