• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer suing to recover commission guarantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kremerjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

My former employer in California was going through some rough times and agreed to pay me about $75,000 in commissions from 6/2014-11/2014 so that I would stay. I signed an agreement stating this and did not realize until recently when the employer started suing me that the agreement said I had to stay until 12/2015 (18 months later) or they WOULD recover the $75,000. In haste, I thought it was 12/2014 when the payments ended.

Things got even worse with my company's situation and I was given the chance 3/2015 to take an awesome job in my home state of Michigan near family and friends.

Do I have any adequate defenses against my former employer to prevent having to pay back the 75,000?
Many negative things happened at the company giving me virtually zero opportunity to make money if I were to have stayed...
If I lose, do I have to pay taxes on the 75,00 first or can it be a garnishment from my employer so I don't have essentially save 100,000 to pay them the 75 after taxes?
What is the statue of limitations from an employer to sue for such a thing after leaving employment?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you took the signed agreement to a CA attorney to see if it is legally binding and enforceable, what did he say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">