• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer withholding $ from last check - Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeccaBooms

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My former employer, as of 2 days ago, told me they are going to withhold $300.00 for a purchase I made from him. This was for something that I made a large cash payment of $1500.00 plus one payroll deduction and it was something he owned personally, not something owned by the company. I completely paid this off over a year ago, although he says I didn't.

Anyways, can it be legal for him to payroll deduct something that was his personal property out of my paycheck? I'm counting on this money for my rent that's due here shortly...I really need help.

Betty

I would have to say no he cannot - not w/o your written authorization. He can sue you in small claims court for the money but he can't deduct the money from your check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">