+ Reply to Thread
    wallock is offline Junior Member

Employer won't send W2s

What is the name of your state? WI

My employer will not send me my W2's. He typically paid me via personal check and continually promised to get his accountant to give me pay stubs when he had everything 'figured out' (it was a new business). My last two checks came from a seperate organization that he hired to do his payroll.

I quit for the obvious reasons (him not knowing how to run a business).

I have not received any W2's and suspect that he didn't withhold any money (in fact, I'd bet money on it). What are my rights? Also, if anyone knows, what are my responsibilities? I am a College Student and wouldn't owe money even in it were witheld.

Thank you so much!
    Mister Darcy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallock
    What is the name of your state? WI

My employer will not send me my W2's. He typically paid me via personal check and continually promised to get his accountant to give me pay stubs when he had everything 'figured out' (it was a new business). My last two checks came from a seperate organization that he hired to do his payroll.

I quit for the obvious reasons (him not knowing how to run a business).

I have not received any W2's and suspect that he didn't withhold any money (in fact, I'd bet money on it). What are my rights? Also, if anyone knows, what are my responsibilities? I am a College Student and wouldn't owe money even in it were witheld.

Thank you so much!
    Call the IRS teleTax hotline at 1-800-829-4477 and select topic #154. It tells you what to do if you have not received a W-2.
    wallock is offline Junior Member
    Obviously I would wait until the 31st to make sure he doesn't send it. Any idea what the outcome will be?

Thanks for the number!
    Mister Darcy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallock
    Obviously I would wait until the 31st to make sure he doesn't send it. Any idea what the outcome will be?

Thanks for the number!

I think he has to give you a W-2 by the 31st or he might get in some trouble with the IRS. But, don't let that be of concern to you. Just call that number and follow their instructions exactly.
    pattytx is offline Senior Member
    The IRS will not take complaints of nonreceived W-2s until Feb. 15. The employer has until Jan. 31st to put it in the mail.
    [url]http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw204.html[/url]

You don't know whether he deducted taxes or not? Did you not get pay stubs? Employers are required by Wisconsin law to provide a statement of deductions to employees. See here under "Payroll Information."
    [url]http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/er/labor_standards_bureau/publication_erd_8784_pweb.htm#Wage_Payment_[/url]
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You have not won the law suit lottery; in fact, you haven't even won the law suit scratch-off.