• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer's mistakes on paychecks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhw

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?wi My employer, U.S. Postal Service, has goofed up my check twice in the last couple of months. They have provisions for "advancing" an employee cash amounts equal to a certain percentage of the "screwup", to be repaid when the next check arrives (hopefully including the backpay). As near as I can determine, however, the policies for granting these advances are arbitrary & capricious. In the 1st instance, they completely dropped my vehicle allowance (I drive my own truck on a rural route), amounting to $267. When I asked about an advance, I was told they don't give advances on vehicle allowance & I would have to wait 2 weeks (until next payday) to get it. Mind you, there was no disagreement on the amount or the fact that they made the error. In the most recent case, they "goofed up" both my vehicle allowance & my salary. Again, no dispute on the amount or who's at fault- AND again, some "mickey mouse" excuse (never fully explained) as to why they couldn't possibly give me an advance! My question: How can any employer LEGALLY admit fault & amount, then say " but we'll make it right when we get around to it!"? Also, once they take the initiative to set up this "advance" option, how can they LEGALLY discriminate between different categories of pay,reimbursement, etc.?

pattytx

Should the employer rectify a mistake as soon as possible? Yes.
However, the employer can decide what types of errors deserve an advance, as in your situation. Especially with a vehicle allowance, since that is not generally considered "wages" for purposes of the timing of payment, they would most likely wait until the next pay period and they would be perfectly within their rights to do so.

BTW, an employee can "discriminate" as to these procedures. Unless you have some valid belief that they are discriminating against you solely because of a legally protected characteristic, such as your race, age, gender, etc., there is no discrimination here that rises to the legal definition.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">