• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Employers Required to Pay Overtime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhiteFlag

Thank you to everyone who's responded.

I hired in with this employer at an hourly rate lower than what I should've accepted. I agreed to work for proverbial 'fish heads' on a preliminary trial basis. If he likes my work and wants to keep me then he is supposed to raise my rate up to my initial wage request. After being there for over a month I'm doubtful that I'll see a rate increase. He insists on keeping most of the lights off in the basement where our office is located. He NEVER turns the A/C on and it was dreadfully hot this summer. I've been told he doesn't turn the heat on in the winter time. (Btw, his home office is in his 17,000 square foot home.) I could stand the heat but I am NOT about to sit at a computer and freeze all winter.

Also, he owns 117 rental homes. He spends most of his time chasing after rent money. Often times he has tenants drop off their rent payments at his home. I am alone in this home/office at least 50% of the time. He's evicted many people over the years for non-payment. The thought of a disgruntled tenant 'stopping by' to exact revenge sends chills up my spine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">