• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equal Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john199143

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My question is concerning equal pay. I’m currently a level 2 employee who took over a team supervisor role when the level 3 that was supervising the team before me moved on to a new position. All of my peers who do the same job are level 3 & level 4 employees which earn substantially more than I currently do (minimum of 10% more for level 3 and about 50% more for level 4 employees). The only difference in our jobs is that I am responsible for supervising one less person than the level 3 employees, and I have less years’ experience. In addition, I am in the process of moving into the leadership program (for high performing employees) and to fill my position a level 3 position was opened. However, according to what I’m reading in the Equal Pay Act years’ experience shouldn't be a factor since that is not a requirement for the job. My role’s responsibilities, in all other capacities besides number of employees supervised, is equal or greater than the level 3 and 4 employees. I frequently hold training sessions to train all the employees and the 3 & 4 supervisors on aspects of the job. My performance is excellent, as proven by additional responsibilities that were previously held by level 4 employees and feedback given by my internal customers. I have also been given more responsibility than the other supervisors, as requested by our internal customer. The specific request was that the other supervisors filter all their technical issues through me before reaching out to the internal customer for help. In addition my performance evaluation criteria are identical to the commitments of level 3 employees.
My question is, since the level 3 & level 4 employees and I complete substantially equal jobs with substantially equal responsibilities, how can I be paid significantly less according to the EPA?

justalayman

the equal pay act does not require you be paid the same amount as anybody else simply because you do the same work, or even more. It is part of the laws prohibiting illegal discrimination so, unless there is some illegal discrimination going on, there is nothing illegal about paying you less than the lowest paid worker in the company, as long as you make minimum wage.

FlyingRon

Are you of a different sex than the persons doing a substantially comparable job that are paid more? If not, EPA doesn't apply to this situation.

john199143

Well there are both men and women that are in the same role that earn substantially more, but yes I'm a different sex than some of the employees earning more

justalayman

Well there are both men and women that are in the same role that earn substantially more, but yes I'm a different sex than some of the employees earning more
but are employees in a similar position, being a different gender, earning less than you do?

but along with your statement, that would mean there are both men and women making higher wages than you

unless there is a noticeable disparity of pay based on the gender issue, you would have a difficult time proving it is based on gender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">