• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employer has paid wages for 8 months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cf9

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

This is about my wife. She worked for Mr. V. on a contract (she was not salaried, a 1099 instead) from Dec 2004 to March 2005. The work was at a client site.

My wife billed the client for all the working hours during the 3 month period above. The client then paid Mr. V. for her services. Ultimately, Mr. V. was supposed to pay my wife according to her pay rate for these hours.

We have verified that the client has paid Mr. V. in full for all these 3 months (full payment was made by April 2005). But Mr. V. is claiming financial problems and till today (Nov 2005), he still owes my wife about $6000.

Things to note:
1) I had contacted the Dept. of Labor and Licensing for the state of Maryland (where we reside) and they said that as of July 2005, they no longer assist with collection of wages. But they informed me that we can take the employer to court for damages upto 300% of what is owed + legal fees.
2) Mr. V. is not denying that he owes my wife the money.
3) He asked for a payment plan in July 2005 to pay back my wife. She agreed. But even then, he has not stuck to his own plan and has just stopped all payment abruptly.
4) My wife has threatened legal action against Mr. V. and had given him an Oct. 31 ultimatum - he never even responded.

We want to pursue this legally, we've had enough. Since the amount is over $5000, we can't use small claims, and want to hire a lawyer.

My questions:
1) In general, how do we go about finding a lawyer for this case. What kind of lawyer should we look for? (A "collection" lawyer? an "employment" lawyer?, etc.)
2) What county can the case be filed in? We live in Howard County, the work (client) was in Howard county, Mr. V. lives in some other northern Baltimore County.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CF

seniorjudge

cf9 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland

This is about my wife. She worked for Mr. V. on a contract (she was not salaried, a 1099 instead) from Dec 2004 to March 2005. The work was at a client site.

My wife billed the client for all the working hours during the 3 month period above. The client then paid Mr. V. for her services. Ultimately, Mr. V. was supposed to pay my wife according to her pay rate for these hours.

We have verified that the client has paid Mr. V. in full for all these 3 months (full payment was made by April 2005). But Mr. V. is claiming financial problems and till today (Nov 2005), he still owes my wife about $6000.

Things to note:
1) I had contacted the Dept. of Labor and Licensing for the state of Maryland (where we reside) and they said that as of July 2005, they no longer assist with collection of wages. But they informed me that we can take the employer to court for damages upto 300% of what is owed + legal fees.
2) Mr. V. is not denying that he owes my wife the money.
3) He asked for a payment plan in July 2005 to pay back my wife. She agreed. But even then, he has not stuck to his own plan and has just stopped all payment abruptly.
4) My wife has threatened legal action against Mr. V. and had given him an Oct. 31 ultimatum - he never even responded.

We want to pursue this legally, we've had enough. Since the amount is over $5000, we can't use small claims, and want to hire a lawyer.

My questions:
1) In general, how do we go about finding a lawyer for this case. What kind of lawyer should we look for? (A "collection" lawyer? an "employment" lawyer?, etc.)
2) What county can the case be filed in? We live in Howard County, the work (client) was in Howard county, Mr. V. lives in some other northern Baltimore County.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CF

Hire a collections lawyer in the county where bad guy lives and/or has assets.

JETX

cf9 said:
In general, how do we go about finding a lawyer for this case. What kind of lawyer should we look for? (A "collection" lawyer? an "employment" lawyer?, etc.)
Three ways:
1) https://attorneypages.com/
2) Open phonebook, look for attorneys.
3) Contact your city/county bar association and ask for a referral to a local 'employment' attorney.

What county can the case be filed in? We live in Howard County, the work (client) was in Howard county, Mr. V. lives in some other northern Baltimore County.
If you are suing the person, you have to sue in HIS home county. If you are suing a corporation... you have to sue where the 'cause of action' occurred, presumably, the office location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">