• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt vs Non Exempt + Organization without Human Resource

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carnduff

Seeking Guidance

I have worked for a non-profit for over 10 years. We do not have an official human resource office or officer. My job requires that I travel quite a bit including overnights. In a years time I spent nearly 30 days overnight be it at a training/conference/workshop/retreat. My first 8 years were as a non-exempt Employee. And now I am an exempt employee. Now that we are under new management I know now that a non-exempt employee who works over their 40 hours a week get paid time and 1/2 if they work more than 8 hours a week. Should I be seeking back pay for all of my overtime during those first 8 years. I would like to add that the former director was kindly removed from their position after learning of their mismanagement on every level.

LdiJ

I have worked for a non-profit for over 10 years. We do not have an official human resource office or officer. My job requires that I travel quite a bit including overnights. In a years time I spent nearly 30 days overnight be it at a training/conference/workshop/retreat. My first 8 years were as a non-exempt Employee. And now I am an exempt employee. Now that we are under new management I know now that a non-exempt employee who works over their 40 hours a week get paid time and 1/2 if they work more than 8 hours a week. Should I be seeking back pay for all of my overtime during those first 8 years. I would like to add that the former director was kindly removed from their position after learning of their mismanagement on every level.
Are you trying to say that traveling automatically means that you worked more than 40 hours in a given week? Being gone overnight for work does not automatically mean that you worked more than 8 hours in a given day or 40 hours in a given week.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you can't go back eight years in any case.

There are specific rules for overtime where traveling is concerned. You don't get paid for all the time you are away or even all the time you are traveling - you would have to apply each trip to the specific travel rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">