• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extended day without pay/overtime.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

Before we can assist you, we must have the following information:

1. The name of your US state.
2. Whether your job is exempt or non-exempt.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Vermont does not require overtime for over 8 hours in a day, only for over 40 in a week. If, at the end of the pay period, you were paid for all the hours you worked and overtime for over 40 in the week, both Federal and Vermont law will consider that you were paid corrected. In 47 states, including Vermont, you are not due any premium pay for working a longer day.

Kyle0723

Just to make sure I am Explaining this correctly, I am not on salary i get paid for all 40 hours and if they extend the day 15 minutes, adding 1:15 weekly of OT they are not obligated to pay me for that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to make sure I am Explaining this correctly, I am not on salary i get paid for all 40 hours and if they extend the day 15 minutes, adding 1:15 weekly of OT they are not obligated to pay me for that?
Yes, they are obligated to pay it. If you work less than 40 hours including the extra 1:15, then it can be paid at your regular rate. If you work 40 hours PLUS the 1:15 (ie: you work a total of 41:15 during the week), then anything over 40 hours needs to be paid at 1.5 x your normal rate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's an example of what I mean:

Monday - 8 hours
Tuesday - 9 hours
Wednesday - 7 hours
Thursday - 8 hours
Friday - 8 hours

No overtime is due for Tuesday because you did not exceed 40 hours in the week. Whereas:

Monday - 6 hours
Tuesday - 7 hours
Wednesday - 7 hours
Thursday - 7 hours
Friday - 8 hours
Saturday - 6 hours

You would be due an hour overtime because even though you never exceeded 8 hours in a day, you did exceed 40 in a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">