• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair "on call" compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ForeverZ3RO

North Carolina

Here's my situation:
I work in IT regular 8am-5pm work hours pay per hour. Every 4 weeks we are required to be "on-call" on non working hours 5pm-8am. This involves fixing any issues a site calls us about. We must answer the phone almost immediately. This also includes calls we must drive to and fix onsite whether it be 3 hours away or 5 minutes, almost immediately. This basically cuts out family events, movie theater trips, fishing trips, etc. as we have to be ready and available to answer the phone at any time and possibly drive out to the site. We get no extra pay or compensation other than the base hours worked. Its a huge inconvenience with no incentive. Should we be getting extra "on call" pay compensation?
I hope I've given proper information on this situation . Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

LdiJ

North Carolina

Here's my situation:
I work in IT regular 8am-5pm work hours pay per hour. Every 4 weeks we are required to be "on-call" on non working hours 5pm-8am. This involves fixing any issues a site calls us about. We must answer the phone almost immediately. This also includes calls we must drive to and fix onsite whether it be 3 hours away or 5 minutes, almost immediately. This basically cuts out family events, movie theater trips, fishing trips, etc. as we have to be ready and available to answer the phone at any time and possibly drive out to the site. We get no extra pay or compensation other than the base hours worked. Its a huge inconvenience with no incentive. I hope I've given proper information on this situation . Thanks in advance for your help!
What was your question?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Should we be getting compensated for being "on call" other than just the hours worked? I edited my post to be more clear.

Thanks
You should be getting compensated for the time you are actually working, but not for the time when you're not working. So, the answer to your specific question is "no".*

* Of course, if there are actual restrictions, such as "You must stay at xyz address while on-call." Or "You must remain within 5 minutes travel time of the office.", then you likely would be paid for all of the on-call time, but that is not the case for you.

TigerD

Should we be getting compensated for being "on call" other than just the hours worked? I edited my post to be more clear.

Thanks
As I understand the question, you want to know if you should get paid to putter around your house because you might get called into work. You are very fortunate. IT is a shortage area. Perhaps not so short that you can successful argue that you should be paid more because the job is inconvenient, but you can always try. Worst thing that can happen is they replace you with someone who is less inconvenienced by such things.

DC

ForeverZ3RO

As I understand the question, you want to know if you should get paid to putter around your house because you might get called into work. You are very fortunate. IT is a shortage area. Perhaps not so short that you can successful argue that you should be paid more because the job is inconvenient, but you can always try. Worst thing that can happen is they replace you with someone who is less inconvenienced by such things.

DC
Be a little more polite or don't answer?

I'm not asking to get paid for "puttering" around the house and not working.
Every job I've ever had with an "on-call" structure always paid an extra $50-$175 for that week of being "on-call" for the inconvenience, not for every hour "puttering around the house". We are VERY restricted to where we may go and we do have to stay within 30 minutes of our office. I'm not saying we just get a small amount of1-2 extra hours on call, we ALWAYS get at least 15+ hours of total calls during the week anywhere from 5pm-8am (not including calls that involve going to a site).

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Every job I've ever had with an "on-call" structure always paid an extra $50-$175 for that week of being "on-call" for the inconvenience, not for every hour "puttering around the house". We are VERY restricted to where we may go and we do have to stay within 30 minutes of our office. I'm not saying we just get a small amount of1-2 extra hours on call, we ALWAYS get at least 15+ hours of total calls during the week anywhere from 5pm-8am (not including calls that involve going to a site).
Then feel free to find one of those jobs that pays an extra $50-$175 for the inconvenience. :cool:

Good day.

eerelations

You should be getting compensated for the time you are actually working, but not for the time when you're not working. So, the answer to your specific question is "no".[/I]
Being in IT and doing the things he describes, OP's position may well be exempt. So getting paid extra for going out to work during his off time may be more than what's legally required. So he's already ahead pay-wise. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Then you've been very fortunate in your prior employers. In NO state does the law require that you be paid a single penny for the "inconvenience" of being on call. You must be paid for any time you actually work, and if your time is severely restricted you may need to be paid for that. However, in few if any states is a 30 minute response time considered "severely restricted" so the strong likelihood is that you only HAVE to be paid for any time you are actually working, and only that if you're non-exempt. Some employers will pay a premium for on-call time but it's not required by law.

TigerD

There was nothing impolite in my answer. Out of consideration for the other readers, I am declining to show you impolite; but rest assured, I can be very impolite and downright offensive while staying within the bounds of the site's TOS. You didn't merit that treatment.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">