• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fishy Payroll check deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdhunsaker2@gma

I have a deduction. Labeled misc.pay -47$.. At first it was for 2 work shirts but that was 4 months ago. The currant pay amount doesn't change but the 47$ gets subtracted from yr to date.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a deduction. Labeled misc.pay -47$.. At first it was for 2 work shirts but that was 4 months ago. The currant pay amount doesn't change but the 47$ gets subtracted from yr to date.
If it doesn't affect your current pay, then it sounds like it's showing the total year-to-date deduction.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your first step is to ask payroll what the deduction is for.
I think the OP was charged $47 for two work shirts about 4 months ago. That $47 charge is showing as a year-to-date figure, not a current deduction amount.

tranquility

I looking back on check stubs and 47$ is subtracted from the year to date amount every week since January
"Year to date" means everything that happened since the start of the year. If the number stays at $47, that means it was taken earlier in the year. It will stay on your stub until a new year.

rdhunsaker2@gma

Year to date

Ok why is the year to date 47 dollars less each week.. Thats what i dont understand.. I just wanna know if this is possible fraud.. If so then i will contact owner instead of payroll dept.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So you are saying that every pay period, your pay stub shows a miscellaneous deduction of $47 but that the $47 has only once been deducted from your pay? Is that what you are saying? Please clarify.

AdoptADog

"Year-to-Date" is a running total for the entire year. If it remains $47 each paycheck and is not affecting your take home pay, then that is the work shirts. The amount is being carried forward from payperiod to payperiod. If you check your tax amounts you will see an amount that was deducted for the payperiod in one column and then a year-to-date total. The payperiod amount is the amount deducted for this particular paycheck. The year-to-date amount is the total of that tax collected for the entire year.

The same should hold true for the Misc. charge. $47 in the payperiod you received the shirts, then $0 in subsequent payperiods...BUT the year-to-date will be $47 carrying over from the first payperiod until next year's first payperiod when it resets.

Make sense?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, there is no fraud here and there is nothing "fishy" about it either. This is absolutely standard and is exactly what is supposed to happen.

If you don't get it still, then take my word for it. I get paid the same no matter what the answer is so I have no reason to lie to you.

rdhunsaker2@gma

The year to date Gross amount changes by -47 every paycheck.. I understand The -47 Will be in the colume but why does it keep getting subtracted from the year to date gross...

LdiJ

Here a example
Rate... hours.. Current... Year to date
Reg. 17.00. 43. 731.00. 6128.50
Misc. 0.00. -47.00

Gross. 731.00. 6081.50
Well, that is a little unclear but Misc. appears to show 0 for the current period and -47.00 year to date. If so, that is correct. They deducted 47.00 one time and therefore your year to date Misc total will be -47.00 for the remainder of the year. If they were still deducting money from you in the Misc column then the year to date negative figure would be bigger by 47.00 each pay period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">