• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fixed Wage vs. Hourly Wage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ensign1572

I'm the GM of an event management company. Currently, we pay our event staff by the hour. Are there any legal issues I should consider if we are deciding whether to move our staff to a fixed wage per event? The fixed wage amount would depend on factors like role, seniority, type of event. Our staff are all employees and we are located in Minnesota.

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fixed wage would have to be sufficient so that the employee is guaranteed no less than minimum wage (the higher of state or Federal) times hours worked, and if they work more than 40 hours in a week, overtime as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm the GM of an event management company. Currently, we pay our event staff by the hour. Are there any legal issues I should consider if we are deciding whether to move our staff to a fixed wage per event? The fixed wage amount would depend on factors like role, seniority, type of event. Our staff are all employees and we are located in Minnesota.

Thank you.
As long as you are paying at least the minimum wage, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

ETA: Yeah, what cbg said

(I got pulled away from my computer for a bit.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">