• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flat/Flag Rate Worker Being Given Additional Unpaid Tasks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tqueen

What is the name of your state (TX)

I am a motorcycle builder that works on a flat/flag rate system in Texas. I work hard, and am usually able to complete between 50-60 flag hours per week during the busier seasons. I am often left standing around with no work to do (I have to be at the shop from 8:30am to 7:30pm or later sometimes). I have to spend around 60 hours a week at the shop at least, regardless of whether there is work or not.

My employer seems to think I make too many hours and is now forcing me to unload the trucks and shipments, and make mechanical repairs that have nothing to do with my job. He even made me sign an 'job description' where he added more duties 6 months after I started. Now he has hired another bike builder that we don't need, so that they can take some of my hours away from me (he gets paid half of what I do). He will also give my work away to the porter to avoid giving me any work. I'm just wondering if this is allowed? Also, I'm sort of under the impression that flag/flat rate hours do not get overtime and would like someone to clarify this for me if possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tqueen

As long as you earn minimum wage, with overtime factored in, it is legal absent a written contract to the contrary.

Thanks. I sort of figured that and really don't expect the overtime. I'm more concerned with the fact that I have to "work for free" doing other tasks that do not provide any flat rate hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">